Better Body Clinical Nutrition
Foods to Avoid Series, #5
Friday, February 24, 2023 12:36 PM
• Monosodium Glutamate (MSG): MSG is in everything from salad dressing to frozen French fries and canned soup. It is used as a preservative to make food taste better. MSG is called an excitotoxin, which means it can literally excite nerve cells to death.1 That is a very scary fact. Here’s something even scarier; infants are four times more sensitive to excitotoxins than adults. So, a pregnant woman or a mom who breast-feeds should avoid exitotoxins, such as MSG and Aspartame, like the plague. It can lead to brain damage.1
1. Mercola, Joseph, and Kendra Degen. Pearsall-Nelson. Sweet Deception. Nashville: Nelson 2006
• Sodium Nitrates/Nitrites: These are highly carcinogenic (which means they can cause cancer). They are found in most bacon (unless uncured), lunchmeat, ham, corned beef, smoked fish, or any other processed meat.
• Sulfur Dioxide: This destroys vitamin B1 and Vitamin E. Vitamin B1 is important because it makes energy for our cells: every cell requires that. It is also needed to process carbohydrates, fats, and protein. Vitamin E has properties that may protect us from cancer and is important for good immune function overall. Watch for Sulfur Dioxide in dried fruits, soft drinks, and potato products.
• Artificial color: These include blue 1 and 2, red 3 and 40, and yellow 6. They are linked to behavioral problems.
• BHT & BHA: These stop “food” from going rancid so it can stay “fresh” on your shelf for years in some cases. Dr. Benjamin F. Feingold, who wrote a book called “Why You Child Is Hyperactive”, says that BHT can cause hyperactivity in children. These man-made chemicals can also cause cancer.